Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Today, I started reading "Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community". In the introduction I learned that Bonhoeffner was martyred at 39 years old. THIRTY-NINE. I'm reminded of how precious life is, and I'm challenged not to use my age as an excuse in ministry. God intends to do great things through his people. Even me.

This week, I re-worked an old hymn titled "For All the Saints". I'm including the lyrics below. Original text is by Ralph Vaughan Williams. The italicized text is my own. This Sunday I will lead it for the first time with a new arrangement and melody. I pray it is an encouragement for our people.

FOR ALL THE SAINTS
1. For all the saints who from their labors rest
Who first confessed, “By faith alone” in Thee
Thy name, O Jesus, be forever blessed, Allelulia! Alleluia!

2. You were their Rock, their Fortress and their Might
You were their Captain in the well fought fight
You were the One, in darkness bringing Light. Allelulia! Alleluia!

(Chorus)
For all the saints, Who were and are to come
You are the same, Eternal, gracious God
It is by grace, through faith, we have believed
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

3. Our war is long, as soldiers who believe
May we be true, emboldened by your strength
We trust Your Word, our double-edged sword
, Alleluia! Alleluia!

4. Just when the fight_ is fierce and waning on
Steal on our ears the distant triumph song
Make our hearts brave, the vict’ry has been won, Alleluia! Alleluia!

>repeat chorus

5. But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious day;
The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
The King of glo-ry passes on His way. Alleluia, Alleluia!

6. From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host
Singing to Fa-ther, Son and Holy Ghost, Allelulia! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment