Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stale Bread

The people of First Baptist Paducah celebrate the Lord's Supper regularly... every six weeks, to be exact.  The last couple of times we've joined in Communion, I've been distracted by a small detail: stale bread.  I've been told it's not actually stale, but made to feel chewy between your teeth.  Well, I'll just admit I don't like it.  I've already begun establishing assumptions about how the Lord's Supper "should be".  And I say, the little unleavened crackers should be crunchy...

The bread and the wine/welch's grape juice are only symbols, and should be appreciated as such.  I'm grateful to lead a people who cherish opportunity to worship our Savior, who is the Table of Mercy.  I often lead a chorus written by Chad and Jess Cates as the elements are passed among the congregation.  I'm sharing the lyrics here.  Taste and see that the Lord is good! (Psalm 34:8)

Table of Mercy by Chad and Jess Cates
Recorded on "The Worship Room" album by Chad Cates and also "Crying Out" by Dave Hunt

(VERSE 1)
You were broken. You bled from Your hands and feet.
Gracious Savior, You died for me.
I’m forgiven, sweet salvation,
Thank you Jesus, my invitation!

(CHORUS)
You are the Table of Mercy
You are the feast of forgiveness
Let us sit down, and taste that You are good
You are good, You are good.

(VERSE 2)
I am broken. I don’t deserve You.
I am nothing. You are King of kings.
Lord, please help me. Lord, please help me hear You.
You are faithful, I hear You calling!

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the stale crackers. At a retreat we went on earlier this year, we used real bread, and after one person took the elements, they would turn around and serve the person behind them. It was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I get this song? I love it but can't find it anywhere online.
    donaldkelly2005@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hunting for it, too. I found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPzlKdK4WA

    ReplyDelete